Skip to main content

UNLOVE!

 


Dearly Beloved,

Learning to unlove you took me years,

Trying to forget your favorite coffee shop,

The food you loved,

The movies that made you cry,

And the way you made me feel,

Even if I only saw you from across the room.

It took me years!

And it took you what seemed like seconds,

Because you fell out of love with me,

While you were in … love with me,

The look you gave me slowly started to fade away,

You didn’t enjoy your favorite food,

You didn’t cry or laugh at movies,

And your phone gave you more dopamine than any of my kisses could ever,

Learning to unlove you took me years,

It took you seconds,

Because you were doing it all along,

And didn’t have the decency… to tell me!

 

The art of unloving someone. It’s funny how we don’t know what love is but we do know what love isn’t. Maybe Juliet knew, that’s why she chose to follow Romeo, or maybe Shakespeare knew, that’s why he wrote the play but regardless of whatever love is, we all know what it's not. So, it begs the question, how can we not know when we are loved but be sure that we aren’t?

Unloving is different though. It’s a whole new process where you want to stay in denial but life keeps throwing you all signs that you are no longer loved or wanted. I recently read “Thursday” by Biko and man did that book slap. There was this line that was so profound to me; It read;

“You can be the ripest and juiciest mango in the world but there will always be someone who hates mangoes”

“But dad what’s that story got to do with my situation?”

“Maybe this guy just doesn’t like your mango. Doesn’t mean your mango is a bad mango”

“Hmmm…, Maybe he likes pears. Or strawberries.”

“Should we give him strawberries”

So am I a mango or a pear or maybe a strawberry but the fact is they do not like the fruit anymore. It doesn’t make it bad, they just do not like it anymore, and accepting this is pretty hard. Most of us try dressing the fruit differently with the aim of rejuvenating the relationship but it always fails; we just do not know when to give up and accept that that boat has sailed. Accept that they no longer love us and they have moved on. Accept that no matter what you do it will not make a difference because life is not a movie directed by Susan Johnson; rather it's a Stephen Chbosky film and tears are the order of the day. 

Those of us who finally accept that their love is unrequited get to deal with a new goliath and sadly you do not have enough rocks to David this one out (see what I did there). UNLOVING. Navigating this ship is somewhat confusing. I suppose most of us get new identities as a way to not deal with the baggage that comes with this new phase. You become cold, toxically nonchalant, becoming numb to emotion with the pretense of wanting to become stoic… all these crumbles down when you see them again and you have to rebuild again, being in a loop of this toxic pattern till you finally accept that maybe unloving them is not an option. You are a person who easily loves and maybe trying to change that makes you realize that you aren't anadromous, so life does you a favor and kicks you back to your normal current. 

You accept this and funny enough time starts ticking for you again. The sun shines beautifully and your wounds heal but you will still feel the scars that remain; however, you don’t question if you are loveable or if you will ever be enough. The grass is actually greener on this other side but the sail will make you sick. Acceptance is a bitter pill but I think it always works out; it may take a long time but isn’t time a social construct to pressure us into doing things faster… so just take your time and heal.

 

Love, 

Thairu

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOMETHIN' STUPID

  My Little Haven, I know I stand in line Until you think you have the time To spend an evening with me And if we go some place to dance I know that there's a chance You won't be leaving with me Albert Schweitzer said that if you love something then you have to let it go and he didn’t say how much letting go hurts. One plus one isn’t adding up to two since explain this; I love you, but I have to let you go because of that love. Why? Is it because my love is wrong? Is it because I am underserving of your love? Or is the world adamant about me sacrificing everything I proclaim to love just to teach me some lesson I never care about?  The simple art of letting go is not simple at all. You have to take a deep breath and accept that your beloved shall be in the arms of another. That whatever you love will be loved better wherever it goes. That it will be taken care of better than you could ever do. But then what if you loved it unconditionally, do you still have to t

LET ME LOVE YOU NOW!

Babycakes, I think I finally met her. Well, she was always in my life but I never really thought of her in that light then I was walking in darkness and she became the light I ran to. I don’t know when I fell for her but I think I always held her to some higher regard compared to other ladies. She, my woman, (I get to say that my woman, my lady) is a ball of energy and I feel loved, accepted, and wanted by her. Everything comes easy with her, well, loving her is easy. Being loved by her feels easy. I am smiling as I write this since I can see her smile while looking at me with her hazel eyes… God her hazel eyes. I wonder if I ever felt seen before I met her. Was I actually seen before her? Maybe yes but I don’t think I care much about the ‘other’ eyes since being seen by these ones has been what I yearn for… Has been what I live for. I am genuinely glad whoever came before me fumbled because he didn’t know what a good thing he had lost. You're the one I love Every second th

END OF ME!

  Dearly Beloved, I will never be Somebody else’s I will always be Either entirely yours Or completely my own There is nothing else That I will ever find Beyond You and I. ~S.L. Gray~   I Love You! There I said it! It’s finally off my chest. I can now breathe. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest and I can smile again after being anguished by that which I could not admit. I have lied to myself that I don’t but here I am finally falling in truth and it feels good and sad at the same time since I still cannot say it to your face. I have desired to tell you this for a while now and I didn’t know how but I guess this does it. I Love You but You don’t; so, only I remains. It sucks being on this boat again, but I will find my shore once more, hopefully, a little bit faster than the first time. I say you don’t since I am afraid of you saying you do. What would I do with your love? How would I handle it? How would I fill you with love when I too l