Skip to main content

SWITCH




Ain't nobody gotta go through what I'm going through, no

But it seems like they all know what I'm supposed to do so

Let switch bodies for a day

You could me be and I could be you

Juggle the pile of shit that's bound to come through

You can have it

Since it's automatic

Now, switch (Switch)

Tell me how it feels (Feels)

To be somebody else (Else)

 

I tend to believe that in life we all have a path we follow. It is not set in stone as it can have many constructs within itself; it can be a straight line or one with curves or one that loops infinitely within itself. I came (funniest thing I’ve said all day) to realize that there are many instances in life where we go through similar experiences and I am convinced that they are not similar in any sense or way.

How did I come up with this conclusion you might ask; well, have you ever been mugged? Then everything fell in place in such a way that if you told anyone you have been mugged they would laugh and say that’s made up; then your friend who also got mugged ages ago tries to co-relate his situation with yours and tells you how to deal with it. Now everyone around you has a story about how they got mugged and it was different for you but you are left dealing with all the trauma alone.

Well, I am here to tell you that yes, I have been mugged. You know, the same old story, I was walking, then I see a man, the path now has no one but the two of us. It’s a busy street but there are no vehicles this time, funny enough there’s no one on this road, and it's 8:00 Pm. So, this guy walks up to me, then miraculously this other one crosses the street and another is behind me. I really can’t tell where the other two came from but I was there in the middle holding my umbrella and Chapo since I was starved. And I was mugged!

It was funny since the night came back to life after I was mugged and kids are running through the streets and there are vehicles. And I sleep and I awake. Then I thought aaah I am good since I don’t like dwelling on lost causes for a long time. So, I leave work early and walk home, this time it's around 6:00 Pm and as I walk this guy walks towards me. My heart starts beating very fast, I am sweating, my anxiety ( why did I call it mine) is at its peak, I start shaking and taking small deep breaths, and for some reason, I am rooted to the ground and I can’t walk. Then this guy comes and says hey, you never change man, tulikuwa in the same class way back when we wore shorts and navy-blue shirts paired with red socks. Are you game for some local barbecue?

I laugh and say eeeey been a second but I really don’t remember this guy or his name but I play along and we go eat and he really does remember me and has some embarrassing folktales (damn his good memory). I later go home and for a few months, I would panic every single time a new person walked up to me. I was traumatized by that whole ordeal and I really didn’t talk about it until it just ended, didn’t get therapy for it but I prayed; or maybe prayer was all the therapy I needed…you should try it some time.

But as I was going through this whole ordeal I would meet people who had ideas on what I should have done when I saw these guys coming my way. And I’d say, “enyewe” then wonder whether this guy suffers from the protagonist complex if there’s such a thing. Then fast forward to a time I met some broken toys and funny enough people had an opinion on what they should have done to not be so broken, then they also broke and I watched them not follow their own advice.

Then it hit me, we can all be going through the same thing and experience different things. Life to me is like the word. We can all read John 5, and all of us will have a different understanding of that crippled guy, but when it comes to life we want to co-relate our problems and how we dealt with them with other people. Are we blind to the fact that we are different and yet the same but still fundamentally different (I hope the guys at the back get this)

Most of us go through problems that may seem really easy to deal with since the actual problem does not affect them directly. I went to a kesha and this preacher said it's easy to condemn a drunkard sleeping on the road until it's your dad or brother or maybe your sister or your mum. We tend to downplay people’s problems since they do not affect us and we seem to have an opinion or a way they can overcome them but I have lived long enough to know that it doesn’t work.

We all grow up differently, the same yes, but differently all the same (I enjoy this). All the choices we make, all the chatter we hear, and what we consume always construct our perception of life. Some of us know that life comes easy for them and for some know that we have to work through life to achieve. But why though? Why are we different?; What makes us different?; What distinguishes me and the other guy?; Is it what they’ve been fed since birth, or are they just lucky because I really need that luck.

It’s late and I should probably sleep. I don’t think I’ll get answers to these questions but I hope those of us reading this will somehow stop co-relating things and just be there for their friends and loved ones. Stop having a traumatic story since they told you theirs, just be there for them and listen; maybe make the mood a bit light by adding laughter or just hugging them.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOMETHIN' STUPID

  My Little Haven, I know I stand in line Until you think you have the time To spend an evening with me And if we go some place to dance I know that there's a chance You won't be leaving with me Albert Schweitzer said that if you love something then you have to let it go and he didn’t say how much letting go hurts. One plus one isn’t adding up to two since explain this; I love you, but I have to let you go because of that love. Why? Is it because my love is wrong? Is it because I am underserving of your love? Or is the world adamant about me sacrificing everything I proclaim to love just to teach me some lesson I never care about?  The simple art of letting go is not simple at all. You have to take a deep breath and accept that your beloved shall be in the arms of another. That whatever you love will be loved better wherever it goes. That it will be taken care of better than you could ever do. But then what if you loved it unconditionally, do you still have to t

LET ME LOVE YOU NOW!

Babycakes, I think I finally met her. Well, she was always in my life but I never really thought of her in that light then I was walking in darkness and she became the light I ran to. I don’t know when I fell for her but I think I always held her to some higher regard compared to other ladies. She, my woman, (I get to say that my woman, my lady) is a ball of energy and I feel loved, accepted, and wanted by her. Everything comes easy with her, well, loving her is easy. Being loved by her feels easy. I am smiling as I write this since I can see her smile while looking at me with her hazel eyes… God her hazel eyes. I wonder if I ever felt seen before I met her. Was I actually seen before her? Maybe yes but I don’t think I care much about the ‘other’ eyes since being seen by these ones has been what I yearn for… Has been what I live for. I am genuinely glad whoever came before me fumbled because he didn’t know what a good thing he had lost. You're the one I love Every second th

END OF ME!

  Dearly Beloved, I will never be Somebody else’s I will always be Either entirely yours Or completely my own There is nothing else That I will ever find Beyond You and I. ~S.L. Gray~   I Love You! There I said it! It’s finally off my chest. I can now breathe. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest and I can smile again after being anguished by that which I could not admit. I have lied to myself that I don’t but here I am finally falling in truth and it feels good and sad at the same time since I still cannot say it to your face. I have desired to tell you this for a while now and I didn’t know how but I guess this does it. I Love You but You don’t; so, only I remains. It sucks being on this boat again, but I will find my shore once more, hopefully, a little bit faster than the first time. I say you don’t since I am afraid of you saying you do. What would I do with your love? How would I handle it? How would I fill you with love when I too l